Sunday, 22 May 2011

Synopsis? I write that? Really?!

I have faith in The Book, I really do. I love it far too much and feel fiercely protective of the characters and the story. I feel like I know them as well as my closest friends.

Why then, do I have such a hard time telling people what it's about? There's a real disconnect between the words I've written on the page to those that come out of my mouth. This is no real shocker especially when I think back to social gatherings and someone asks me about my day job:

"So Emma, what do you do?"


"Um, I'm a brand manager."


"What does that involve?"


"Oh, nothing interesting! Just marketing and stuff..."

I don't know what it is about being put on the spot that make me clam up but I'm going to need to sort it. Now that I've finished The Book, and especially now I'm writing a bloody blog about it, I need to actually talk about it. Describe it.

I always assumed a publisher would write the synopsis and breathed a sigh of relief that I wouldn't have to try and sell The Book in less than 200 words but after some brief internet research it turns out the responsibility lies with yours truly.

Of course it does.

I was silly to think someone would just pick up my manuscript and read it blind. For all they know, The Book could take a Dusk Till Dawn-like twist halfway through and they need to know what they're letting themselves in for.

So, I've tasked myself with writing the synopsis. I'm going to have a crack at it now.

For the love of god, wish me luck.

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment