Wednesday, 12 October 2011

All work and no play..



I think I've used that quote in the past, however, I do think Jack Torrence and I have a lot in common. I mean, I'm a writer, I live alone (forgot the wife and son element, the dude was practically only alive in his own head), I have a fear of spooky twin girl ghosts, I have conversations with imaginary people, I have a manic stare sometimes (usually when I'm supposed to be paying attention to something but start thinking about my book). And last but not least, there's the axe connection...

Okay, I don't have an axe but a member of my family was once arrested for chasing someone down the street with an axe (my heart swells with pride...)

Here's Johnny!

In short, I feel myself to be really rather mad these days. I spent the entire evening on Monday in tears about...well, everything really. I started my new job last week which has been slightly overwhelming and my head has been spinning. I'm conscious of neglecting my book as I talked about in my last post but I suppose there's going to be a bit of give and take over the next few months as I get settled in work.

I've managed to bang out more than 40,000 words of Book 2 though which is a result. I've even managed to stick to the same scene the last few times I've written which was unheard of when I wrote Driving Exile as I'd get bored and write random bits and bobs. The fun and games really started when it came to editing and trying to make some sense of what I'd been writing for the last four years. Think I've learned my lesson for Book 2 though.

Speaking of Driving Exile, with three rejections in the bag, I've had a bit of a rethink with my chapters. I deliberately made my chapters short and snappy but when most agents just want your first three chapters to evaluate, there's not a lot to go on. Most say they want no more than 100 pages so I've decided (for the purposes of agents getting a clearer idea) to revise these first three chapters and make them longer. At least then, they get to meet all of the characters. If they get that far of course...

Anyway, I printed off the 93 page wonder (lucky agents!) and I now need to purchase a folder, hole-punch, padded envelopes, new black ink cartridge, and sticky back plastic (not, really). Just need to choose the next agent on my hit list...

Keep rockin'!

Em

x

Ps. This week I'm mostly hearting Blue Oyster Cult and Mikky Ekko!

2 comments:

  1. You sound like you are going through a very stressful period, which I can relate to. Try to cut yourself some slack and reward yourself for keeping your head above water with a massage or pedicure or whatever you are in to.

    I definitely tweaked my opening chapters to hook agents and I think being mindful of that is helpful as readers also want to be hooked within the opening chapters.

    Keep moving forward and you will accomplish your goals :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma,
    Best of luck with the queries - I admire you managing that AND a new job! I had to give up mine in order to focus on my writing (clearly I'm no multi-tasker!)
    I don't think the first three chapters can be polished enough - and in my case, I mean that literally. It's impossible for me to let go of them because I'm so afraid they won't do. But I feel I've worked them to death!
    I like the sound of your ideas and hope they come to fruition.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete