Sunday, 2 October 2011

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Ah, what a week.

Myself and Tres indulged our love for all things literary on a lovely break to Stratford Upon Avon to see where our mate Shakespeare was born. Admittedly, we did decide to spend our cash on cream tea rather than tours around famous landmarks but it was still classed as educational. Honest.

This was also the last week in my job so I've been spending the weekend preparing myself for starting my brand spanking new one tomorrow.

Oh, and I got another book rejection. That makes three. I was doing a bit of Internet research (AKA trying to make myself feel better) and stumbled upon the following list which gives a list of famous books and how many times they were rejected before getting that all important YES.

Auntie Mame, Patrick Dennis (15)
Carrie, Stephen King (30)
Chicken Soup for the Soul, Jack Canfeld and Mark Victor Hansen (140)
Diary of Anne Frank (16)
Dr. Seuss books (15)
Dubliners, James Joyce (22)
Dune, Frank Herbert (23)
Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell (38)
Harry Potter book one, J. K. Rowling (9)
Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Richard Bach (18)
Kon-Tiki, Thor Heyerdahl (20)
M*A*S*H, Richard Hooker (17)
The Peter Principle, Laurence Peter (16)
The Prncess Diaries, Meg Cabot (17)
Watership Down, Richard Adams (26)
A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L’Engle, (26)

I'd had it in my head JK Rowling was turned down thirty-something times but alas, not true. Goodness me, I can't help but wonder whether those nine people who rejected Harry Potter are able to live with themselves...

The list has made me feel even more fiery and determined. Driving Exile is of course my baby and I feel protective of it but at the same time, its genuinely a bloody good book. I know that sounds big headed but it's true. It's a great book and I truly believe its destined for big things. I'm embracing my new found confidence (hoping to god, it doesn't come across as arrogance...) and had to smile when I saw t-shirts and fridge magnets in Stratford with the quote in the subject line. I think it sums me up at the moment, well, I'll always be little so perhaps the fierce bit, I mean.

Yes, it was a big week.

Made even bigger by the fact I've been hammering away several more thousand words of Book 2. I'm on a roll now. It's funny how Driving Exile took me four years to get my finger out and get finished, yet I can see this one being done by Christmas at this rate. Oh god, then I'll be back to editing hell again....

Wish me luck with my new job tomorrow. Scary stuff!

Em

x


No comments:

Post a Comment