Saturday, 3 December 2011

Comfort in failure?


Where the hell have I been? God, I've been off the radar for far too long. 

I feel like a broken record but work is still stressing me out. I'm doing a good job apparently but I'm certainly feeling the strain. In PR you're judged on a month-by-month basis and some clients have good months, some have bad. Got a couple with bad months that I have to report on and it makes me feel sick to my stomach. 


I wish I didn't care sometimes but I suppose it’s a bit of a comfort that I do.

I'm still hammering away on Side Project, which is rapidly taking shape, and I reckon I'll be done by Christmas. Need to get Driving Exile off to more agents as well. In honesty, I quite like waiting for the rejections. Weird, I know. I suppose I just want to be sat one day with a pile of my own best-selling books next to me and be able to say, "I was rejected 6,321 times but look at me now!"

In fact, I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing but I like reading success stories that started with failure. They help to scrape you up off the floor when you feel as though you're just not good enough. 

Here are some really good ones: 

Theodor Seuss Giesel: Today nearly every child has read The Cat in the Hat or Green Eggs and Ham, yet 27 different publishers rejected Dr Seuss's first book To Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street. 

Stephen King: The first book by this author, Carrie, received 30 rejections, finally causing King to give up and throw it in the trash. His wife fished it out and encouraged him to resubmit it, and the rest is history. 

Jack London: Writer of White Fang and Call of the Wild. His first story received six hundred rejections before finally being accepted. (Wowzer!) 

And my favourite....

Walt Disney: When trying to get funding for his first Walt Disney theme park, he was turned down and rejected by 302 bankers before someone finally believed what he had to offer. 

You see, comfort in other people’s rejection is inspiring. Rather than doing the ‘English’ thing and wallowing in other people’s failures, it’s finding the positive from their determination not to give up.

With Christmas rapidly approaching and then the hope and expectation that a New Year brings, finding positivity in the seemingly…blah, is important. Especially as this is the first festive season alone for me.

Not that I’ll be alone. Turns out there’s quite a lot going on at Christmas when you’re not cocooned in couple heaven
:-)

All of that aside, I’m still enjoying writing from the perspective of a moody teenager. May have found my niche and I’m really not sure what that says about me!

I’ll keep you posted on the progress of Side Project and also one how the next wonderful rejection is worded.

Enjoy opening those advent calendars.

Thanks for reading,


Em

x












    No comments:

    Post a Comment