Monday, 16 April 2012

Eighteen




The number 18 plays a large part in my young adult novel, Blackbrooke. It's an ominous number that's to be dreaded. When the book is on the shelves, you'll find out why (winking smiley!).




Now, I face my own dreaded number 18.


Without realising it, I sent Blackbrooke out to 18 agents over the weekend. When I counted them up I couldn't help but wish it would have been 17. Then I could have given my blog post a name I thought was really clever (but actually just naff) like 'Edge of Seventeen' one of my favourite songs and sitting firmly on my Blackbrooke playlist.


Now, this is why you need to be careful what you wish for...


Yep, less than two days after sending it off, I've had the first rejection. A bloody generic one as well. Ah, it's OF COURSE to be expected. I know that. However, I'm on a bit of a downer about coming to the end of the fabulous Hunger Games trilogy which left me feeling rather empty. Rejection doesn't feel particularly wonderful on top of this.


Which is why I've devised a little game. Treat the agents like contestants on the Hunger Games. Oh, I know that's sadistic and I promise I won't imagine firing a bow and arrow or hurling spears into the bellies of the ones who dare to reject me (RIP Rue), but you have to make your own fun.




Oh, and I was Tweeted by a fellow writer, the fabulous Nicci Cloke, and tagged in her blog! Made me feel rather special. She wanted me to take part in Lucky 7 and I'm going to do it. I like the fact there's a lucky number to be had in the world after my woeful 18. I'll make the same apologies as Nicci if you writers have been tagged before but let's give it a whirl. Here are the rules and you can also read Nicci's blog post on it here:


- Go to page 7 or 77 of your current manuscript
- Go to line 7 
- Copy out the next 7 lines or sentences and share them on your blog 
- Tag 7 other authors to do the same 

Right then, here's seven lines from line seven, on page seven of Blackbrooke....

Despite being five months older than me, Cassius was small. Too small for his age at barely four feet and weighing probably the equivalent of a bag of sugar. I examined him as he reached up a bony arm and pushed his yellow tinted glasses further up his nose. He had to wear the glasses to protect his eyes from the sun and usually wasn’t seen out of them throughout the summer.
Whereas I wore t-shirts and denim cut-offs, Cassius was clothed head to toe as his translucent skin was too sensitive to be exposed, even when slathered in sun-block. 

And here are the writers who I'd love to take part in Lucky 7...

Rose McClelland - a sneak peak of the next novel perhaps... ;-) 
Jo Skehan - would love to know what you're working on
@paperclipgirl - Anyone who shares my love for Point Horror books...
Talli Roland - Wishful thinking that you'd take part in this but one can dream! 
Ben Hatch - Another one who I'm interested to get a sneak peak of the next book from
Becca Fitzpatrick - Getting a bit carried away now....
Suzanne Collins - Now I'm just being stupid...

There, I feel more lucky already. Hmmm, starting to wonder whether I've treated this as a chain letter...Am I getting superstitious? Is the number 18 going to haunt me and turn into a mad obsession? 

No, that's impossible.

After all, there's only 17 left in the arena now...

I will be less nuts in my next blog, I promise. 

Em 

x








1 comment:

  1. Oops, I thought I commented on this before but I guess I messed it up somehow! Anyway... Yay! Love the Lucky 7, can't wait to read the rest. Keep the faith x

    ReplyDelete