Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Under pressure

...from myself.

There was a fabulous quote I read recently (the author escapes me, as does the exact quote actually) but it says something about a good book being worth waiting for. It's so true. I feel like I've been waiting an age for Becca Fitzpatrick's Finale but I know it's going to be well worth it.

HOWEVER, as an author it's really frustrating to take time writing a follow-up. I've had some fabulous feedback for Blackbrooke and I'm over the moon every time someone takes the time out to write a good review or send me a message telling me how much they enjoyed it. It's been so amazing that I'm now scared to keep people waiting too long for the next one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not deluded enough to think people can't sleep at night and are clambering to get their hands on the second one. Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games - Blackbrooke ain't (only in my wildest dreams) but there's still a fear people will lose interest while I'm furiously trying to finish Part II.

It's strange because I've known 100% how I've wanted to end the Blackbrooke Trilogy and that's NEVER changed, however the story getting there has adapted as I've gone on to write it. Writers (and friends of writers) will know you get an idea in your head of how you want something to turn out and eat, sleep, breathe it and then...you wake up one morning and think, "Nah, I HATE that! Back to the drawing board!"

My tortured unofficial story editor formally known as Uno but totally outed in my acknowledgements to be Candice (sorry, your cover is blown!) bears the brunt of it. She gets Blackbrooke at the raw ideas stage so therefore is the most unfortunate of all of my little helpers. Bloody hell, no wonder she moved to Australia a few weeks ago...I'll be buzzing about something for ages and then *poof!* its gone and I've decided to go down a different route. I don't know how she keeps up.

I've nailed the story now though (I think) and just have to put it through its paces. I have a nasty habit of writing as though its a screenplay and including far too much dialogue. I just love interactions between characters and that's due to my impatience as a reader and tendency to get bored with too much description. I'm a character and conversation gal but I realise that's not the best way to set the scene in a horror tale so my work requires around four to five edits/rewrites myself, THEN I read it out-loud to myself, THEN I read it out-loud to the poor, tortured Candice, and THEN it goes to...

*Drumroll*

Tres! Or the acknowledgement-outed Rebecca. That woman is a reader. She has a top English degree from a top university and I bit my nails down to the wick when she had the first part of the trilogy.

I then read it through again a couple of times, both in my head and out-loud and THEN it goes to my publisher which means another few rounds of edits.

It's like writer bootcamp. Painful. Blood, sweat and tears go into it and you know what? There are still little mistakes and errors that worm their way in there. That's life. We're all human and by the end of the process, I'm so close to it that I could probably recite it word for word.

And so, after writing this blog, I realise its not the pressure of getting the book written that's bothering me, it's the fact that writing is just the very first step in the process. There's much more pain to come but I bloody love it and, if I could, would do it full time. As it happens, I can't quite afford to make that a reality at the moment but I'll keep ploughing on with Part II of the Trilogy as well as continuing to promote Part I.

Another huge thank you goes out to everyone who has bought the book and taken the time to review or get in touch with me. I'll be answering your questions on my next blog which I may do as a video as I have a tendency to ramble!

Back to the grindstone...

Em x

PS. Here's what's currently getting a battering on the unofficial Blackbrooke II soundtrack. It pretty much sums up Liberty Connor at this stage in the tale and you'll find out why when the book is released ;-)



2 comments:

  1. Excuse me, but it's just not true we aren't losing sleep waiting for the second Blackbrooke novel! Day and night, I can't STOP thinking about it! I want it now, now, NOW! No pressure or anything ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW.ADJETIVANDO.COM (Blog LiterĂ¡rio)

      Estamos precisando de colunistas, inscreva-se:
      http://www.adjetivando.com/2012/08/Selecao-de-Autores.html

      Delete