Saturday, 27 October 2012

Am I in it?

No.

There you go. End of post.

Only kidding! I wanted to post about something I imagine a lot of writers encounter on their journey at some point. It's regarding those people on the periphery of your life who show an almost unhealthy interest in your work.

It's all very nice and supportive but then you get THE question.

Oh, you know the one....

Outsider: "Am I in it?"
Me: "Excuse me? Are you in what?"
Outsider: (Chuckles) "In your book of course! I read it cover to cover just seeing whether I got a mention."
Me: (Eyes dart to the side in panic) "Well...it's a bit difficult to thank everyone in my life. I don't get a lot of words to play with for my acknowledgements and-"
Outsider: "No! I mean, actually IN your book. As in, one of your characters! Am I Denzil? No, no wait! I'm Noah aren't I?"
Me:...............................................

Seriously.

I've had it a lot from really random people so let me set the record straight.

No.

No. No. No.

It's a strange assumption people assume they'll be in there. Don't get wrong, its amazing they think that. I suppose I'd just hate for it to work the other way with someone believing a crap character is based on them and that I'm having a pop.

My characters, along with the story, are completely fictional. All out of my crazy little brain.

Now, there is one teeny, tiny little thing. It's no secret that I have a pen name - I've been quite open about that due to my unpronounceable Polish surname. Not only did I steal my Mum's maiden name of Silver (thanks Mum!) but I dropped the 'G' from my first name, making me....

Gemma.

Little Miss Gemma Jones in Blackbrooke isn't based on me though, I swear! Well, not much anyway. I don't have her mean streak but I suppose there are tiny elements of the cheeky sod from me ;-)

I'd love to tell you I'd taken traces of myself and put them into Liberty Connor. I bloody wish. That girl is insanely brave whereas I'm a complete wimp (I can't even be in the same room as a spider, it's pathetic). In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion I created Liberty as the girl I've always wanted to be. It's funny because I actually try and spot elements of myself in her when I read Blackbrooke....

Wait a second.

I started this blog post having a rant about people who ask whether they made it into my books and yet, I've just said that even I look for myself in there and I BLOODY WROTE IT!

The mind boggles.

To conclude: You're probably not in my book...and neither am I, much to my disappointment.

Em x


No comments:

Post a Comment